The Next Generation.

When we went to America in 1946 the next generation had only just started. Neil was a 6 week old baby, Lloyd and Thelma had a daughter, Janice, just over two years old and my cousins nancy & Helen each had one child, Margaret Farr and Don Pritchard respectively. By the time we returned to Australia in 1951 there were many more cousins and second cousins,. We ourselves had a daughter Margaret and Olga's sister, Jean, had twin girls, Lynette and Maureen Bill, and Iris had a son & a daughter, Michael & Bromwyn McCarthy.On my side Lloyd and Thelma had two more children, Geoffrey and Christine, Nancy had another daughter Helen (Kelly} and Helen had two more children Max and Jill. Another cousin Joan Worthley had twin girls Jacqueline & Jill. Moreover the baby boom continued in the 1950's. We had two more daughters, Trish in 1952 & Sue in 1956, Lloyd and Thelma had two morw daughters Rosemary and Jeniffer, Hugh Badger had a daughter Margaret and Helen Pritchard had another daughter Joan. Bill Brown had three sons, Geoffrey, Ian and Don. Joan Worthley had two more children, Paul and Pam, and her brother Peter Mellor had three children, Andrew, Robyn and Philip, but they were away on the mission field.

            During the 1950's our children got to know most of their first and second cousins. On our way home from the U.S. we had a holiday in Europe and then came from London by a ship which called at Fremantle, Adelaide and Melbourne on the way to Sydney. In Adelaide we went to see my aunts and uncles at Prospect and there Neil and Margaret met the Farr children. Then when we reached Sydney they met their cousins on the Williams side.


Olga, Uncle Charlie, Auntie Sis, Grandpa, Auntie Beat, Barbara, Auntie Nance, Marg & kelly's Mum Nancy & her father, Uncle Arch.

Margaret, Neil, Margaret & Kelly.

Uncle Ron holding Michael, Neil on the rail,Iris,Maureen or Lynette,Jean holding Bromwyn, Auntie Joyce & her daughter Margaret,Uncle Ted (?) or Ray(?) & Grandpa, Grandma, Extra young girl, Auntie Elsie, Maureen or Lynette, Auntie Pat partially obscured Auntie Ethel, sister Margaret, No idea- could be Uncle Ted's daughter & Mum on the railing.


We had brought a car back with us from America ( a right- hand drive Studebaker) so in December 1952, when Trish was only 5 months old, we drove to Adelaide for Christmas and called at Mt Schank on the way. There our children met Janice, Geoffrey, Christine and Rosemary. This was the year that Uncle Arch died and when we received the news we left straight away in order to be in Adelaide for the funeral. After Christmas we went to Lyrup to see Dad and Auntie Beat and while we there I went with Dad to see the Commonwealth Bank manager in Renmark to arrange finance so that Dad could buy another property ( preferably closer to Adelaide.) It took Dad quite a while to find the place he wanted so he was still at Lyrup at the end of 1953.

However he had by then arranged to but the Cherryville property and was waiting for vacant possession.In a letter to me describing the place he said he guessed the youngsters would like the place or at least the orchard.As it turned out they found other attractions, particularly the old truck which they enjoyed playing on. Dad's notes have this picture being taken in 1956, however Sue was born in 1956.This then has to be two or three years later, which calls into question some of the dates below.This will take further investigation.. This photo taken in 195? shows , Patricia, Kelly (Helen), Neil, Susan, Margaret B. & Margaret F. on the tray of the old truck. In the background is the magnificent stone garage and workshops. This building was dug into the side of the hill, with a road running along the back. From the road to the workshop was a gangplank / drawbridge, the possibilities for role playing games were endless.

            Before Uncle Arch’s death the prospect family had arranged to buy a house at Henley Beach but had not yet moved because of alterations that were being made. Some of these alterations were intended to make it easier for Uncle Arch to live there but as it turned out he never had the opportunity to do so.
Our second trip to Adelaide was at Christmas in 1954. By this time Dad and Auntie Beat had moved to Cherryville and Auntie Nance, Auntie Sis and Uncle Charlie had moved to Henley. On this occasion we stayed at Henley and made day trips to Cherryville. The next year we also came to Adelaide and stayed at Henley. This was the year of the Black Sunday fire which destroyed the Governor’s summer home at Marble Hill and went right through Dad;s property, destroying all the cherries and most of the other fruit trees but fortunately not damaging the house. When the news of the fire came over the air Bill came to Henley and took me up to Cherryville. The police were not allowing sightseers in but when we said we were going to my father’s house to help fight the fire and they saw the food that we had brought with us for them they let us through.

            My next trip to Adelaide was in 1958. In that year one of my bank colleagues, Roger Star left us to take up a very lucrative job with British Tobacco. One of the perks that went with the job was a brand new Jaguar car. He had first been in Washington as an Executive Assistant to the Australian Director when Australia first joined the IMF but came backa year or two after I joined the IMF. He returned to Australia in the mid 1950’s at a time when the rules regarding car imports were very favourable so he was bale to bring home a brand new Chevrolet sedan in place of the car he had been driving. As he no longer needed the Chev he offered to sell it to me and since our Studebaker was by then 10years old I agreed to take up the offer. That meant that our car was available for sale. By this time the Henley folk had had moved to Cherryville and Uncle Charlie was thinking of getting a more powerful car for use  at Cherryville, so he agreed to buy the Studebaker. That meant I had to get the car to Adelaide, so during the school holidays I took Neil with me and drove it to Adelaide. The son of a friend of mine was wanting to get to Adelaide so he came too. We wanted to get to Adelaide quickly so we made it in under 2 days.

This picture is supposedly taken in 1958, which would make me twelve, I think not.

While we were at Cherryville I have a picture of Neil with his cousins Don & Max Pritchard dressed as hill-billies.

Interesting the hobo-ish outfit that i would choose to wear, my knowledge of the appearance of farmers was limited to Grandpa & Uncle Lloyd and this was long before the pervasive influence of TV. Max & I both have bits of grass hanging out of our mouths, and to this day I can recall Grandpa picking bits of g rass and sucking on the sweet stem. When he was picking cherries, he would occasionally eat one, unlike us, and he would work the seed around in his mouth for what seemed hours.

            The next interstate visit was when Lloyd and Thelma brought their family to Sydney in 1959. We took a day trip up to the Blue Mountains and that was when Olga vowed she would never go on the Scenic Railway again – she was scared out of her wits. This was the last occasion that our family saw their S.A. cousins before we went to England in 1960.

This may help ageing of truck photo, presumably he has year right on Lloyd visit, compare kids in this to on truck.