Gibon Badger   Annie (nee McDougall) Badger


Annie's Family

Gibsons's Drowning.

Renmark Reminiscences

Annie Gibson

John McDougall

Archie Maxwell

Jessie Emmeline

David Magnus

Effie Stewart



1853 Adelaide Gibson BADGER b.1853 d. 1889 Sheet
1877 Terowie Left home and became a storekeeper.
1878 White Hut- Clare m. Annie McDougall b. 1857 d. 1946
1879 White Hut-clare Annie Gibson-Nance Born where Annie's mother,Emmeline Euphemia McDougall, was living at the time.
1880 Belalie East   John McDougall Born where Annie's mother,Emmeline Euphemia McDougall, was living at the time.
1882 Lancelot     Archie Maxwell  
1884 Lancelot       Jessie Emmeline - Sis  
1886 Dawson         David Magnus    
1887 Parkside           Effie Stewart  
1889 Renmark - Drowned              
1890 Renmark             Gibson
1897 Adelaide              
1913     m. Laura Mary BROOKER b. 1884 d. 1979 m. Helen WOODROFFE b.1882 d. 1917        
1914     Kathleen Woodford Nancy Maxwell   m. Maggie Knox b.1883 d.1919    
1915       Helen Maxwell   Donald Gibson    
1916     Geoffrey Malcom     Neil Thomson David Lloyd    
1917   Arch, Helen & Nancy move in.   Helen Woodroffe dies & the family moved in with Grandma so Nance could mind girls.
1919           Maggie died & Auntie Jessie , Maggie's sister moved in to mind boys.
1921     Hugh Gibson     Watson Ave.Rose Park.    
1924 Uncle Gip buys 29 Bosanquet Ave.       m. Charles Murray Stephen BURNSIDE b.1886 d.1970   m. Charles Edmund Hamilton BROWN b.1883 d. 1964  
1925 Gladstone Rd. Helen, Nancy, Don, Neil & Lloyd went to     David's family move in, Arthur St. Prospect North. Jess marries Ken Mellor Dougal Hamilton - Uncle Bill  
Bruand Rd. School & lunched here daily.
1926 Bosanquet Ave. Annie, & Gip move to Bosanquet Ave with         move to Eudunda  
Arch, Helen & Nancy
1927           David & Neil go to Port Lincoln    
1928         Lower North Rd, Ovingham... Don & Lloyd join    
Dave for 6 months.
Don moves in on return Then to Mylor.
1929         Move to Belair,      
Dave's family also.
Beat & Rene also.
1932         Don stays with Sis. David & Beat, Lloyd & Neil to Montarra.    
1938   Grandma Annie has stroke.     Don to Sydney. Don moves to Sydney. Naracoorte  
Sis & Charlie move to Bosanquet Ave. Sis & Charlie move to Bosanquet Ave.
1940   Uncle Bill moves in.   Helen marries Neil PRITCHARD Neil & Lloyd enlist WW2 Bill to Bosanquet Ave.  
1942         Lloyd marries Thelma BATES    
1943       Nancy marries Harry FARR    
1944   Uncle "Gip" dies, Nance gets house..     Neil killed in action    
Don marries Olga Williams
1945       Margaret FARR      
1946   Grandma dies.   Don PRITCHARD .Neil Gibson    
1947       Max PRITCHARD Geoffrey Neil    
1948       Helen FARR Margaret Robyn    
1949     Jack dies   Christine Elizabeth    
1950       Gillian PRITCHARD     Bill marries Barbara MOYSES  
1952 Henley Beach Sis & Charlie move to Henley.  

Arch dies.Was due to move in to Henley.

Move to Henley Beach Rosemary Dawn Geoffrey Hanilton  
Nance to Henley Patricia Jean
1953 Cherryville       Dave & Beat move to Cherryville    
Jennifer Maureen
1954           "Black Sunday" decimates orchard. Ian David  
1955     Margaret          
1956           Susan BADGER    
1957 Cherryville Nance to Cherryille     Move to Cherryville. Nance moves in.    
and Sis & Charlie
1958             Donald Stuart  
1959       Joan PRITCHARD        
1963   Nance dies            
  Joslin       Joslin ?    
  Black Forest       Black Forest ?    
1970         Charlie dies Dave dies    
1972         Sis dies      
1978             Effie dies.  

Gibson, the second son, became a storekeeper, first at the new town of Terowie (Notes and References 22) and later at other new towns further north. He is recorded in the South Australian Directory as conducting a store at Terowie from 1877 to 1880 and he is described as a storekeeper on his wedding certificate. He was married by his father on 20 June, 1878 at White Hut,near Clare to Annie McDougall, daughter of Rev. John McDougall and Emmeline Euphemia McDougall (nee Maxwell). John McDougall had undertaken theological studies at New College, Edinburgh in the 1840s and was married in September 1854. (Notes and References 23.) It is reported that John was the first Gaelic preacher in South Australia and that Scottish migrants flocked from miles around to hear him preach. His wife, Emmeline, was a remarkable woman. She was 20 years younger than her husband and, in John's later years, she took up school- teaching to supplement the family income.(Notes and References 24.) Gibson and Annie presumably lived at Terowie for the first few years after their marriage. During this period their first child, Annie Gibson, was born at White Hut in April 1879 and the second, John McDougall, at Belalie East in October 1880. In each case the birthplace was where Annie's mother was living at the time. The family's subsequent movements were bound up with the opening of new towns, first at Lancelot and then at Dawson. The town of Lancelot was dedicated in July 1877 and was located on a surveyed line of railway for the envisaged railway extension from Burra through Terowie to the north east. There were high hopes for the future of the town and a period of rapid building activity began. Within a year the residents had secured government approval for a school. The initial optimism did not last long. There is evidence that Lancelot was already declining in the early 1880s. (Notes and References 25.) It was apparently around this time that Gibson moyed to Lancelot. The South Australian Directory describes him as storekeeper and postmaster at Lancelot from 1881 to 1886 but the available evidence suggests that the latter figure should probably be 1885. During this period the next two children were born, Archie Maxwell in March 1882 and Jessie Emmeline in February 1884. Jessie's birth certificate, reproduced in Appendix B, was made out by her father in his capacity as registrar at Lancelot. Gibson's step-brother, Henry, is recorded as purchasing all allotment in the township of Lancelot and it seems likely that he was associated in some way with Gibson's business interests there. The fate of Lancelot was closely related to Government decisions regarding the railway development.(Notes and References 26.) In mid-188,4 the north-east line was given fresh impetus by the news of a big silver discovery in the Barrier Range. Despite vigorous argument in favour of other routes, the debate was narrowed down to a choice between Terowie and Petersburg, each town presenting statistics showing the advantages of its route. Terowie argued that its route had already established itself as the natural and proper outlet for the north-east trade. However, the final decision in November 1884 was in favour of Petersburg after a two-vote decision in the Upper House for Terowie was reversed by a narrow margin. The Terowie route ultimately foundered on the question of gauge. It was considered too costly to build a broad gauge line all the way to the NSW border so traffic to Adelaide would encounter an interruption whichever junction was chosen. Petersburg won the day because there a single junction offered access to three ports (Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Port Adelaide). Both routes were used for supplies during the construction phase -sleepers from W A were shipped to Port Pirie, railed to Petersburg, and then hauled to the site from there. Bullock teams carted stores from Terowie to the construction workers and returned with wool from the sheep stations. The bullock teams camped overnight at Lancelot so there was still life for the town. It is recorded that in the 1880s it was not unusual for up to thirty teams to be camped there. By June 1887 the railway from Petersburg reached Cockburn on the NSW border. A petition to the Government for a loopline from Terowie through Lancelot to Thyers Corner so that freight could be brought direct from Silverton to Terowie was rejected and Lancelot lost its last hope for a link with the north-east trade. By this time Gibson and Annie had moved further north to another new town, Dawson. Like Lancelot, Dawson owed its establishment to the opening up of new lands. It was located in the Hundred of Coglin which was opened for sale in the period 1878-1880. The town itself was sold at auction in 1881. The first storekeeper, Mr. F.C. Okeley, is reported to have sold his business early in 1885 and gone to Western Australia. If Gibson Badger was the purchaser that would suggest that his move coincided with his mother-in-law's appointment as first teacher at the Dawson school, which opened in 1885. Like Lancelot, Dawson too had a very limited life. Its fate is a good illustration of the folly of ignoring Goyder's line in extending cultivation. A newspaper report from Dawson towards the end of 1888 reads: 'Few farmers trying to reap their seed. Some reaping three days for one bag of wheat. All are anxiously waiting for a reply to their petition asking for seed wheat or relief work - while sons of farmers are in a state of destitution.'(Notes and References 27.) Gibson's stay at Dawson was quite short. The fifth child David Magnus, was born there in April 1886 but within a year or so the family moved again. This move was to Parkside in the city where a daughter, Effie Stewart, was born in November 1887. Gibson's step-brother, Herbert, who had been assisting in the store at Dawson, took over when Gibson left and remained there as a storekeeper and mail contractor for several years. While living at Parkside, Gibson was described as printer and publisher but the venture was apparently unsuccessful as he moved again in 1889. This move was to Renmark on the River Murray, where he became a storekeeper again. The move to Renmark coincided with the development of irrigation on the Murray. Following the pioneering voyages of Randell and Cadell in 1853 the river had gradually become an important means of transport so that by the mid-seventies some of the river ports were among the busiest in Australia. However it was the coming of irrigation that provided scope for expansion for South Australian river towns like Renmark. The impetus for irrigation came from Victoria. Alfred Deakin had led a delegation of the Victorian Parliament to California in 1885 to study the subject and had met the Chaffey brothers. The following year the Chaffeys were granted perpetual water rights at Mildura, and a year later similar rights were granted at Renmark. The introduction of irrigation opened the way for rapid growth for Renmark, Unfortunately Gibson did not live to benefit from his move to a growing town. He was drowned in tragic circumstances in the River Murray on 13 December, 1889. On receiving news of his son's death, David went to Renmark and described the tragedy in a letter to his wife, which is reproduced in Appendix C. In its issue for January 1890, Truth and Progress gave a brief account of Gibson's death. It described him as a Baptist in principle but recorded that, on moving to Renmark, he had united with the Congregationalists and, at the time of his death, was both a Deacon and Church Secretary. Gibson's youngest child, also named Gibson, was born in April 1890 after his father's death but only lived for three days. The family remained at Renmark for some years; Annie carried on the business with the assistance of Gibson's stepbrother, Henry. .

As already recorded, Gibson and Annie had seven children, four boys and three girls, all of whom survived to an advanced age, except the youngest, Gibson, who was born after his father's death and lived only three days. Details are shown in the accompanying chart.

Following Gibson's death in December 1889 Annie continued to conduct the store at Renmark with the assistance of Gibson's stepbrother, Henry. The family remained at Renmark unti11897 and then moved to Adelaide. By this time the elder sons had begun work and Annie was able to concentrate on her household responsibilities with the assistance of her eldest daughter, Annie Gibson rNance).

Nance remained unmarried although engaged for some thirty years to Richard Kitson, a talented musician who played the clarionet and saxophone. They planned to marry on a number of occasions but family emergencies, to which Nance generously responded, prevented the marriage from taking place. The family lived at Prospect for many years until after the death of Gibson's widow, Annie, in May 1946.